Jesus said the greatest commandment is "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'" (Luke 10:27)
We believe that everything we ought to do falls under this simple mission:
Love God. Love neighbors.
When people asked Jesus who our neighbors are, he responded with the story of the Good Samaritan, which illustrates that everyone is our neighbor. As Neighborhood Church, we are to love everyone.
Our values inform every decision we make. As a church, these five values are our motives--the reasons why we have a mission:
- Wandering people matter to God
- He longs to welcome them home
- He values people from all walks of life
- He sends us to them
- Following God is an adventure
- Listening to God involves patiently waiting
- Following God's lead involves taking faith-filled risks, which always means change
- Pursuing God involves a lifestyle of prayer
- The Holy Spirit empowers us
- He enables us to live holy lives
- He enables us to accomplish great things
- Without Him our efforts are fruitless
- Followers of Jesus guide others
- True followers of Jesus produce more followers of Jesus
- Leaders develop more leaders in an environment of grace
- Churches plant more churches
- Everything we have belongs to God
- We are only managers
- Where would God spend His money?
- Why not use our skills in His service?
We know that we are each on a journey along the Way. Just as a physical journey is made up of steps, our spiritual journeys develop over time. We use a map to remind us of what our next steps are.
Typically the first step in getting connected at Neighborhood Church is to join our Sunday Worship Celebration at 10:30 am. We call this step "Celebrate," as we join together and celebrate the new life we find in Jesus.
The second step in our journey together as a church is to Accompany each other along the way. We do so through our home groups that meet on a weekly basis. We don't just come together to be stationary, but to accompany each other along our spiritual journey.
The third step we take together is to Serve, both by serving our community and serving others in our church. God has given each person skills, talents, gifts, and a unique personality. We each play an important part in our church and the world around us. We value finding ways to serve our church and the community around us.